Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Dang it, Craig!

I know I have a lot of catching up to do. I promise to post about meeting my nephew and this summer's adventures. But for now, I need to talk about something that may make you laugh, cringe, and/or shake your head in wonderment over our stupidity.

That's right. I want to talk about the joys of adulthood--particularly that wonderful, stomach-dropping moment when you realize (like Gob in "Arrested Development") that "I've made a huge
 mistake" and all responsibility rests on you and you alone. Okay, so it's not that bad. Let me start from the beginning.

For the past few months of Super Husband's "freedom" from studying, we've been getting serious about putting the finishing touches on our house. This has included yard work, reorganizing closets, and extensive Craigslisting. That last one has been the source of the most grief. Super Husband spends almost an hour a day browsing the listings and making offers on the furniture we've been waiting on. Somehow, we managed to buy ourselves a new vacuum in the process, but that's beside the point.
The point is, for all the work and consideration we put into the searching, we have very little to show for it...until yesterday. Late on Monday night, Super Husband says he's found a buffet! It's small, it looks light, and it's real wood so we can refinish the light pine with a stain that matches our dining room! "It even has a lip around the back and sides to keep dishes from falling off!" Great! I took a brief glance at it, thought the price was reasonable (given what we'd seen so far) and liked that it was in the same town where Super Husband works!
Begin phase 2: We make an offer, seller accepts said offer, and Super Husband plans and executes a lunch break run to pick it up! So far so good. When I come home from work, I open the garage excitedly to find...a baby-changing table!


Wait. Is there something he's trying to tell me? Am I pregnant? (No, for the record. No.) I kind of chuckled at first and took a closer look. Yes, it's a baby-changing table. Complete with drawers and a divider for holding diapers. When Super Husband comes home, I make a joke about it and his face drops. He'd paid extra to have it delivered, and upon loading the guy's truck he realized how heavy it was. He said he was having second thoughts at that point, and when the seller added "it makes a great baby dresser too" he was confused, since they claimed to have used it as a buffet table. Not wanting to back out then, he went through with it.

Laughter aside, we stood in our garage, staring at the large, glossy, pine baby-changing table. We'd paid way to much for it. We found out we can't refinish it because, although the drawers and front are solid pine, the sides are veneer. So, we're going to have to try to sell it again. (No Baby Mottet on the way in the near future, and I can't justify hanging onto it until then!) But I have a feeling we're going to have to cut our losses. It's work to post things, wait for offers, and coordinate pick ups. We'll probably lose money, not to mention sleep, over this thing. Dang it, Craig and your stupid list!
This "too-bad-you've-been-bamboozled" moment will pass and I'm sure we'll laugh about it someday. It's just one of many home-owner/newlywed mistakes I'm sure we'll make in our lifetime. That said...I still wish it hadn't happened.

Soooo...Expecting a baby? Have a little one already? Need a nice piece of furniture on which to change him or her? Call me.

3 comments:

inkless said...

Oh, this made my day better! Thanks for posting. I also had a stupid can't-believe-that-happened moment this week (one that also involves lots of $$). Glad to have a comrade! Good luck with the resale.

Squirrel Scribe said...

Update: We sold it! :)

Heather Seymour said...

That's so funny! I can totally see that happening to me. Hopefully you recouped some of your money!

Post a Comment