Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Winter of the Icky-Icky Colds

I love the way Brian Jacques, author of the beloved Redwall series, named the seasons in his books. "The Summer of the Late Rose," for example, just drips off the tongue. You can just picture the woodland creatures all basking in the lingering sunlight and warmth of a late-summer's eve.

If I were to name this season, however, it'd be "The Winter of the Icky-Icky Colds." Not nearly as charming. But, for a lack of a better description...

Everyone and their mother (not exaggerating) have dealt with one form of illness or another--all within the span of several months. (Thank you, Captain Obvious. You're welcome.) Since, chances are, you're among those who've suffered through cold after cold--each with it's own load of symptoms and general unpleasantness--I salute you. I've felt your pain. We've made it! Almost.
Spring is officially here next week! That may not mean the snow's gone (for my Midwest and East Coast readers), or that you're immune to the sneezed-in hands and snotty noses of germ-spreading children in your life. Personally, I'm gearing up for allergies and the odd colds that creep in to try to ruin my season. But I'm hopeful none of them will be quite as bad as the sicknesses that have made this winter so...memorable.
Fevers, chills, runny noses, sore throats, ear aches, stomach bugs, burned tongues (from all that hot tea we've been swigging), and annoying coughs. We bid you adieu. And good riddance!

So what should we dub this season? The Spring of the Emancipated Tissue Box? Spring of the Sudden Heat Wave? (Oh, if only!) Or maybe we can all agree on the Spring of Good Health! Mmmm-hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment