Two weeks ago, I had the privilege of babysitting and helping
care for my eleven-month-old nephew. Since our interactions have been
mainly over Skype up to this point--and we've only seen each other twice
in person--I wasn't sure how it'd go. He's a big "mama's boy"
and doesn't usually take to strangers. (It took him at least two days
to warm up to Super Husband.) But I was pleasantly surprised by how
quickly we became buddies! He was laughing and "talking" to me as if
he'd known me all eleven months of his life! We think it may have to do
with how much I look like my sister, his "mumma."
Reminds me of how I am with relationships: shy at first; nervous at how my humor, responses to things, and personality will be taken; and eventually, reaching out for deeper friendship with open arms.
Reminds me of how I am with relationships: shy at first; nervous at how my humor, responses to things, and personality will be taken; and eventually, reaching out for deeper friendship with open arms.
Reminds me of how I sometimes act when God corrects my bad attitude. I grunt, cry, and kick my way back to where I'm supposed to be, and finally the peace and restful reassurance settle in.
Then there's bedtime. No matter how sleepy he is (or even conked out completely) when you put him in his crib, he usually wakes, stands up, and starts whimpering as soon as you move toward the door. Watching him on the monitor, I see him "cry it out" a little before laying down and eventually falling asleep.
Reminds me of how I sometimes throw "tantrums" at the end of the day, too. Even as an adult, who can regulate her own bedtime, I sometimes find myself huffing at the clock, amazed at how time has passed, and sometimes crying inwardly over the end of the day because it means no more of the good things I've enjoyed in it--the "play" of projects, the "naps" of relaxing moments, the "milk" of meals enjoyed, and the comfort of loved ones I've spent time with. If it's been a good day, it's hard to let go and move on to the next one. If it's been a bad day, it's hard to stop replaying the events and wishing you could change them.
However, just as my nephew will grow up and no longer cry at bedtime (he just turned ONE last week!), I'm reminded to grow, learn, and trust in my Father. "A one-year-old taught you all that?" Yep. He's a smart cookie with big impact, even if he's unaware of it...although, given his "knowing" smile when he reaches up to pick "Super Uncle's" nose, sometimes I think he knows exactly what he's doing--melting hearts and changing the world for the people closest to him. LOVE that little guy!
No comments:
Post a Comment