Fall is on the horizon, and with it a harvest of homegrown veggies and fruits! While I paid more attention to my garden in the spring and early summer, Super Husband took over the watering, which somehow helped me to forget about the plants I was supposed to be tending.
Nevertheless, I go out to our back yard and find not one, not two, not three, but FOUR types of vegetables! (Well, five...if you consider the asparagus plant that's still maturing.)Two types of tomatoes
Summer squash
Carrots
Snap peas (not pictured)
Carrots, tomatoes, and snap peas have been my go-to veggies for the past three years. The peas are always the first crop to come in, and even though I attempted to plant a second crop when instructed, they didn't make it. Too far from the sprinkler, I guess.
So there you have it! Four veggies and their varying amounts of success. Lessons learned?
1. Stick with the farmer's market tomato starts; they're so worth it.
2. Grow one summer squash, but also a butternut squash for Super Husband.
1. Stick with the farmer's market tomato starts; they're so worth it.
2. Grow one summer squash, but also a butternut squash for Super Husband.
3. Carrots are great--"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
4. Peas would like more water, please! (Rethink the garden layout.)
While my "100 List" certainly prompted me to take on a larger garden this year, I think there's still room for improvement. I'm continually grateful for our three blueberry bushes and two dwarf apple trees, which produced SO MUCH great fruit this year. They're pretty low-maintenance, if you don't count the near tent-caterpillar disaster a few months ago (Super Husband saved the day, again!). Some winter pruning is definitely necessary, but that's not asking much.
Many thanks to my green-thumb friends for their encouragement and advice. (You know who you are!) I still feel clueless and a bit like a failure as a gardener, but you listen to my concerns and stupid questions with such patience. Thank you!
Time to get pickin'!



No comments:
Post a Comment