My first impression as we walked toward
the Clink (Century Link) stadium was, “This looks and sounds an awful lot like
the Colosseum.” Having just visited Rome only two weeks prior, the sheer size of
the arena felt familiar. Granted, it’s not built with stone archways and
columns, and the violence doesn’t even begin to compare with the horrors that
took place in the arena, but there were similarities: The thunderous roar of
the crowd, hungry for action; the epicurean consumption of overpriced food and
drink; the fancy boxes for rich patrons; and the angry shouts over a bad play
or call.
Many even chanted, “Let him die! Let
him die!” whenever a member of the opposing team was stalling for time by
rolling on the turf in apparent agony. While the sarcasm was evident and the
player was most likely not hurt, it
was still eerie. Not unlike the Latin “Lugula!
Lugula!” chant in the Colosseum. (“Kill him! Kill him!”)
This comparison goes to show just how
intense North American soccer (mainly it’s fans) can get! The number of
spectators and enthusiasm for the sport surprised my parents in particular.
Their flight arrived that same day and, in spite of jet lag, they stood and
smiled through the whole match! The Sounders were losing (miserably…to a sub-par team, I hear), but Mom and Dad
looked like they were enjoying themselves! Now before my Sounders-fan friends
cry foul, they weren’t relishing in the defeat, but simply taking in the experience.
I’m just thankful they were willing to come out on a chilly night, when their
internal clocks were telling them it was 10pm. What troopers! They handled the
night with more grace and contentment than I did.
I embarrassed myself right off the bat by asking our row mates if they were in the right seats (I thought I heard Super Husband say different numbers). One girl gave me a sidelong glance and muttered that they should know, they sit in those seats every time. I made some laughing comment about how we were obviously the newbies here. But she didn't laugh. Or smile. Or even acknowledge my presence once I sat down next to her.
*awkward turtle*
Should've known from that moment we were in for a crummy game. What a way to kick off the experience!
I embarrassed myself right off the bat by asking our row mates if they were in the right seats (I thought I heard Super Husband say different numbers). One girl gave me a sidelong glance and muttered that they should know, they sit in those seats every time. I made some laughing comment about how we were obviously the newbies here. But she didn't laugh. Or smile. Or even acknowledge my presence once I sat down next to her.
*awkward turtle*
Should've known from that moment we were in for a crummy game. What a way to kick off the experience!
Other less embarrassing highlights include recognizing
Dempsey and other players I’d only seen on TV. Our seats were better than I
hoped, and it was surreal to watch the game up close. The cheering section was
nearby—all the jumping, motions, and singing looked exhausting! How do you even get to watch and enjoy the game like
that?!
My favorite part was turning to see my
parents in the section next to us, surrounded by screaming fans with raised
blue-and-green scarves. They kept me from getting too disappointed by this
first experience. I also enjoyed sitting next to Super Husband, who finally got
to wear the Sounders scarf I bought him our first Christmas together. He
patiently answered my questions about calls and hugged me close as we wove through the maze of passages, clogged with spectators.
I have a feeling we’ll be back...and next time I'll remember to give those cranky season pass holders (friends excluded) a wide berth. Mitte! Mitte! ("Let him go free!")

1 comment:
Cranky season pass holders indeed! I hope your next game experience is much better!
Post a Comment