Thursday, March 26, 2015

Stay-at-Home What?

Spring has sprung, but I feel like it's nearly the start of summer vacation! That's right. Only 6 days until I'm done with work!

"Already?!"

I get that a lot.

Super Husband and I made the decision soon after we found out about Baby. It's important to both of us that I stay home with our kids, and Super Husband insisted that taking time off before Baby arrived would be the healthy choice for all three of us. I'll admit, "type A" me took a few weeks to get used to this idea. In the end, I agreed to stop working in April, with the promise of freelance editing from home as long as I can.

Some days I feel a bit guilty about it. Nowadays, it's not uncommon for new moms to work right up to delivery and then high-tail it back to work as soon as maternity leave is up. It amazes me! But I'm also grateful for this opportunity to finally take on my dream job as a stay-at-home mom, or, as my Mom lovingly called it, a "domestic engineer."

I think I confused people by leaving my job so "early." (Frankly, 5 months out of a lifetime of parenthood doesn't add up to much!) Coworkers bemoan not getting to see my growing belly--although I promised I'll stop in--and friends who don't know how far along I am wonder if I'm due sooner than expected...and just ridiculously small still?

But the biggest question has been, "What are you going to do in the mean time?" One coworker teased, "Take up knitting?" I suppose she could've meant it sincerely, since I do work at a quilt/sewing/yarn book publishing house. Kidding aside, I think they actually want to know what a mama-to-be/stay-at-home wife does.

Plenty.

Over the next few months, will my status be...
A full-time freelancer?
Self-employed?
A homemaker?
A stay-at-home wife?

All of the above, I guess! I'll be freelancing as "full-time" as I can manage while making sure I'm taking care of Baby, my body, and my home. Yes, freelancing means "self-employed" and I've ALWAYS considered myself the homemaker of our little family. I was already a stay-at-home wife once, but the early days of marriage meant I was busy stumbling my way through cohabitation and the job search (far from my "network," I might add)! This time, I have familiarity on my side. We're settled into our home, I know where to shop and what chores need to be done, and I hope that there will still be time leftover to keep doing the editing that I love while nesting!

And the timing couldn't be better!

Professionally, it aligns perfectly with other position shifts at my company. So I know I'm leaving my job in capable hands. Plus, I've lived my dream of being a copy editor and learned valuable skills that I can carry on through freelancing. It's been an excellent run.

Personally, it means I'm free to host my family this summer without taking PTO, and our travel plans will hinge on Super Husband's schedule alone! Add on the convenience of NO commute and NO more feeling restricted to a desk (Baby and I need to get up and move around a lot these days). It seems like the perfect fit for this stage of life and pregnancy!

So I'm looking forward to it, even if I do feel sentimental over leaving my office and the friends I've made there. I want to spend this time well. Call it what you will: stay-at-home wife or stay-at-home freelancer. I'm aiming for the high goal of stay-at-home mom. And I can't wait to meet my little "client." This new season is a blessing. Not a luxury I take for granted. An incredible blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment