Two weeks ago, I wouldn't have even dreamed that I'd be employed by the end of January. After over a year of searching (some of it...okay, much of it half-hearted), I began to accept that freelance editing from home would be the closest I'd ever get to my dream job of working inside a real book publishing office. I've enjoyed this type of work for the past month. And suddenly, out of the blue, my client publisher had an opening! Snow foiled the first attempt to interview, and sickness the second. The third and final attempt turned into a glorious day of sunshine, kind people, getting to know the office better, and receiving a job offer!
I'm excited, but for some reason an almost solemn mood has settled on me. I'm in awe, shock, and probably more than a little terrified that I'll screw up this opportunity. I needed some time to process how, after so long, literally going on years (since college) looking for the right job, the right job came to me when I was least expecting it. It reminds me of a similar search, one that ended almost the moment I could profess sincere contentment with being single. A man came into the picture and changed my life forever. Isn't that how it often is? Love and Grace find me when I least expect them too.
I'm going to be a copy editor at a company that publishes quilting and crafting books. Such a lovely, innocent subject! I love the idea of working with books that inspire creativity and handiwork. Yet, I know that, just as in school, the days will start to feel long and the work a little tedious, and I'll look forward to vacations and miss the golden days of "summer" when I had no work. But this will be the first day of something good. Very good. It's an education I've longed for, and the type of job I think I'll enjoy, if only because of the friendly co-workers I'll share it with. Most importantly, it's good because of Who ordained it to be, Whose provision allows both my husband and I to work and live with plenty.
It's a new season. I'm ready to dive in and make the most of these next few years. Because before I know it, a new and even more exciting and terrifying season will begin. (Yes, Mama, I'm talking about your grandbabies. *wink* Not yet!) It's just another step in the journey. A turn in the page. Hey, I'm finally an editor, so don't expect my cheesy life/book analogies to go away. I'm just getting started!
Oh, and as for those Crayola crayons? I may need to borrow the red one for marking up manuscripts. Just sayin'...
No comments:
Post a Comment