Monday, May 20, 2013

#7 Sew a Quilt (+ Thoughts on Being an Aunty)

Confession: I began this project before "Sew a quilt" made it on my 100 list. But it was still a dream of mine to see it finished! My two attempts at T-shirt quilts have resulted in a paper grocery bag full of cut up T-shirts and no quilt...yet. So when I found out my sister was pregnant, I also found the perfect excuse to start a REAL quilt.

Living 3,000 miles away from my "PregoSis" (as I promptly nicknamed her in her first trimester), I figured my baby niece or nephew will need something to snuggle up in as a substitute for an Aunty Hug. That's when I began my search for the perfect baby quilt pattern. It didn't take long. (Remember? I work for a quilting/sewing/knitting/crochet/crafting publisher...) I ended up sewing a miniature version of a quilt a coworker actually designed! Simple square blocks with appliqued clouds and a bright red bird fit the baby shower theme of "Showers of Blessing" (raindrops/cloud theme) perfectly!

It's the sappy sort of thing one of our authors might write, but I truly felt like I was sewing a bit of love into each stitch. Even the crooked quilting and very-visible binding stitches perfectly resemble "quirky aunty." I'm really happy how it turned out and I couldn't wait to give it to PregoSis at her baby shower! All her guests signed their name to the label so Baby can see how much he or she is loved.

So this post comes with a double whammy--a goal reached and musings on another life milestone. I'm going to be an aunt! My big sister, my BFF and guinea pig is once again blazing the trail into the unknown! Our family's first grandchild and niece/nephew on both sides. It's been hard to let it truly sink in, considering I've only seen my PregoSis twice in person since she shared the news. Her baby bump was still small then. Now she's beautifully round and glowing! I got to feel Baby kick before his or her miraculous entrance into the world. Surreal, isn't it?

I always thought I'd be there to welcome my niece or nephew as soon as I got the call! Now...well, I'll have to celebrate and cry tears of joy out here and save my kisses and snuggles for Baby when we go out again this summer. Baby will be a month old then. I hate the thought of having to "spoil baby from afar," or becoming "that crazy aunt and uncle out in Washington." Hopefully our annual or biannual visits will let us become familiar faces in Baby's life. :-( Man, this is just depressing me! My heart longs to pop over to see my sister send her baby off for his or her first day of school! Or to be there for recitals or concerts, sports games and birthday parties. We may be able to see some, but it won't be the same.

Enough melodrama...for now. I'm thrilled to be an aunty. And I absolutely love seeing my sister's life bloom so beautifully. Seven years ago, one of the darkest years my family has experienced, I remember pleading with God to let my sister's heart be whole again, so she could love and be loved, that she would joyfully live out the life He had planned for her, and that she'd get to realize those dreams that were seemingly dashed. You know what? He answered! A hundred times better than I could've imagined! I love my "sworn brother" (doesn't that sound more epic than "brother-in-law"?) and the life they've built together. I know they'll be fantastic parents--the super cool kind! And I'm 100% positive I'll burst into tears at the sight of my beautiful sister holding her child for the first time (Attention family: I demand pictures of this blessed event!).

This kid is going to know he (or she) is loved! No doubt about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"GRAMPA, more tissues please!!!!" Yes Honey, Mama (Gramama)just finished reading your incredible blog and I'm so glad Daddy was next to me to make me laugh within my sobs!!! Aunty Tiffy & Uncle Greg, you are (& will be) so loved by your new niece/nephew. Love you Sweets, Mom

Post a Comment