Sunday, January 19, 2014

#48 Bake a Thanksgiving turkey

I'm not sure if this one counts, since it wasn't exactly ON Thanksgiving. But I did bake my first turkey! We had some friends over the other night and we had a turkey dinner. (Another friend coined the term "Friendsgiving" to describe it.) The bird was 10lbs--too big for the two of us, but perfect to share! So, on my Friday off, I put on my apron and got to work!

The side dishes were the easy parts. I whizzed through potato prep, veggie dicing, and pumpkin pie filling. I even had the chance to run out for some last-minute ingredients! But when it came time to prep the turkey, I was a ball of nerves!

I'd done my online research. I even took notes during my weekly Skype date with my sister and nephew! She baked her first turkey on Christmas day, so I appreciated her insight as a fellow newbie. Finally, I chatted with Dad--the "grand turkey master" himself!--for some final tips. Armed with their advice and the calming thought that LOTS of people bake turkeys successfully, I turned to the bird.


Crisis #1. It was still a little frozen! I'd defrosted it in the fridge as long as the internet told me too! (Hey, it was the FDA's website! How can they be wrong?!) So I went through all the defrost procedures I'd learned until the meat was soft enough to get started.

Crisis #2. The neck wouldn't come out! You hear about the convenient little bag of giblets, but no one ever talks about how hard it is to pull out the turkey neck! Granted, mine was still frozen to the bird, but I was giving it lots of muscle. It wouldn't budge! Frustrated and resolving NOT to get teary, I called Dad again. A little bit of cold water and a muscle cramp later, it was out!


Crisis #3. It was now more than half an hour later than I'd planned to start cooking the turkey! Which meant that our guests would be food-less for the first hour of our dinner party. Not to worry--I had appetizers! So I calmed myself and put Big Bird in the oven. *phew* Now for the easy part...waiting.

Easy? Did I say easy? Crisis #4. It took a lot longer than I thought! (Plus, I don't know how to use a meat thermometer, apparently.) I couldn't figure out WHY the thermometer said the meat was close to being done, and then 10 minutes later, it was COLDER than before! Gee, could it be because you TOOK THE BIRD OUT OF THE OVEN to take the temp? Hmmm, yeah, that was probably it. :-P

Anyway, when it was finally done--not as golden as I'd liked and a bit dry--we still had a good meal. (Not to mention, the house STILL smells like turkey...but that's more the leftover turkey soup's fault than the dinner.) I'm just glad the worst is over and I can check "bake a turkey" off my list. I figure the first time will always be the worst. So maybe when I actually host a REAL Thanksgiving meal, it'll be a little less stressful.



No comments:

Post a Comment