Monday, February 3, 2014

My Relationship with American Football

I'm not a big football fan. I enjoy a good game and took most opportunities to "watch" the Steelers games with friends in college. (I was, after all, living just north of Pittsburgh.) Confessions: I usually did homework during games and never quite understood why everyone got so depressed when their team lost. Even our own college's team lost pretty much EVERY game, but that didn't stop us from sitting through at least the first half of the homecoming game, right? Okay, maybe that was for the fireworks at half time...and for the drill team's "Superman" dance with the pom-poms, because that was pretty entertaining...

I was often (and still am) asked, "You're from New England. You must be a Patriots fan, right?" Sure. I liked watching the Pats. My Dad would watch a few of their games on occasion. The Super Bowl was a social event I always looked forward to--Patriots or no Patriots. So, yeah. "I'm a Pats fan." But I never understood their confusion when I couldn't name any players, didn't know how the Pats were doing this season, and couldn't tell them the tiniest stat or factoid about the team...except that a lady at my church was their flight attendant for several years and got us free team-logo plates and cups for a party one year! Wooohoo!

So, I'm a "hometown loyalty" kind of fan. (How's that for one thing college taught me? Think they'll give me my $66,000 back?) This stuck with me for the first year of residence in Washington state. Blame it on homesickness if you must. But by year two, I found myself actually interested in our local teams. I'll admit, I first became intrigued by the team colors. Blue and green? My favorites! Then it was the logo--a fierce-looking hawk in the Native American art style. And finally, I started watching more and more games with my growing group of friends here. Through observation and a few explanations from wiser fans, I found myself able to follow the game's progression and actually recognize (and get excited about) good plays!

*cue heroic NFL music* I became a Seahawks fan! (Now, before my East Coast crew cry foul...I still root for the Pats when I catch an odd game here and there. I love New England. I just love my new home too, K? *hugs*) This was the first NFL season where I felt like I could appreciate the journey. We'd usually have the game on in the background while Super Husband studied and I did chores, or we'd sit down when we heard it get really interesting. By the time the last playoffs game rolled around, I was jumping and cheering along side Super Husband and his family. It's been a blast!

Enter Super Bowl XLVIII! We had a great crew of friends over for blue-and-green themed treats and a great game on TV last night. *spoiler alert* (This is for the benefit of those who've been living under a rock for the past 24 hours. You can come out now.) The Seahawks won! It was a good day to be a Washingtonian, to get to see and experience the celebration first hand. First Super Bowl win ever, huh? Could've fooled me! :) Regardless of the whining on Facebook, the pointing fingers about players' personal lives and character, and how next season turns out, I think it's safe to say this NFL season has made a Seahawks fan out of me. Not a "hardcore" one, I'll admit. But a fan...and much more so than in the past. (I can actually name a few players and give you the odd tidbit about the team. And I'm pretty sure Russell Wilson is my favorite...not just because he shares my father's name. Dad, why wasn't your basketball nickname "Danger-RUSS!"???)

Anyway, just wanted to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU to the friends who made this season so much fun...and "Go Hawks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment