I'm still in shock...although, really, should I be? So many people praying and a God Who has provided for us faithfully in the past. What was I expecting?
We were so prepared for Lyla to have a hard time with surgery and recovery. Given the surgeon's original diagnosis, we were gearing up for a bunch of follow-ups, procedures, and tests....But here she is! Already back to her loving, charming, and, yes, finicky toddler ways! Her doctor says we only have to do an ultrasound in a little over a month. (Maybe a few more in the year ahead to be sure things look good. But I think I can speak for Lyla when I say we'll take an ultrasound over a VCUG or renal cystogram ANY DAY!)
The short story is this: a complication which would've required a stent was HEALED when the surgeon got in there! Ironically, the family we were waiting with before Lyla's surgery ended up having a longer surgery for their daughter, with an unexpected stent put in. We were able to encourage them, as we were expecting the same for Lyla at the time. They seemed to relax when they realized their daughter's condition was more common than they initially thought. (So maybe "irony" isn't the best description; more like "God at work.")
[Side note: we had to reschedule her original surgery date after her pesky cold proved too risky to proceed...and yes, this was only determined after we'd gone through the entire check-in/pre-op process. On the bright side, I think it familiarized Lyla and us with the environment, which made it less intimidating the second time around.]
From watching Lyla peacefully and pleasantly play with toys, make friends, and explore the hospital during her delayed pre-op wait, to hearing her try to soothe the crying baby next door in the middle of the night ("Baby? Shh-shh-shhh"), I'm just so thankful for this little girl! She was truly a light through this whole experience. And for every time a nurse or doctor called her "delightful" or "an all-star patient," my heart was bursting with gratitude and worship to the One who brought us safely to the other side of this.
As I rocked Lyla before bed last night, I was reminded how, only a short time ago, I'd cry over her and the pain she'd have to go through. Now IT'S FINISHED! I know she'll have her fair share of pain in this life, but I hope that Super Husband and I can remind her how, even at this tender age, God showed her great tenderness and kindness.
Thank you all for your love, prayers, and support! I feel like this experience qualifies as another fulfillment of my 100 List item: "Witness a miracle!" Lyla's surgery and recovery have been nothing short of a miracle. We're so happy to be done!

No comments:
Post a Comment